Hello readers.. Here is today’s “Top ten news stories in Nigeria” brought to you by Apata Bayode
=> Dasuki Challenges FG For Disobeying Court Order – Vanguard
Former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) has challenged
the audacity of the federal government to put him on trial on the
alleged mismanagement of fund meant for purchase of arms.
He told an
Abuja High Court Friday that government has no moral and legal rights
now to prosecute him having been in contempt of three high courts that
admitted him on bail but which were not obeyed.
When the matter came
up today, defense counsel, Joseph Daudu SAN brought an “unless
application” challenging the disobedience of the Federal Government to
the earlier bail granted Dasuki.
Daudu submitted that the Federal
Government cannot go ahead with the trial, having disobeyed an order of
court which granted bail to the accused person.READ FULL NEWS….
=> Borno Elders Reveal Real Sponsors Of Boko Haram -Naij.com
A group under the the umbrella of the Borno Elders Forum has
alleged that persons indicted in the diversion of funds meant to
purchase arms for soldiers combating insurgency in Northeast Nigeria are
the real sponsors of Boko Haram.
The group said: “Much has been said about the sponsors of Boko
Haram. With the horrifying revelations about the ‘Arms Deal’, it is no
longer necessary to continue delaying the search for the real sponsors
of Boko Haram. Those who collected such huge sums of money from the
national treasury and converted same for their unending greed and
avarice should be regarded as part and parcel of the sponsors of Boko
Haram. Get them and you will get the rest.
“The people who sponsored the activities of Boko Haram or those
who deliberately turned away from their official responsibilities on
security issues, or those who looted the funds meant for the prosecution
of the war against Boko Haram, and those who spoke or continue to speak
in their favour are all one and the same.
“They all individually and collectively aided and sponsored the
Boko Haram insurgency. They colluded to ensure the death of our brave
soldiers, our innocent people and the near total destruction of our
society. Nigerians should stand by us and collectively assist to bring
those responsible to book. “
READ FULL NEWS
» Jonathan Linked To Arms Deal Scandal -Naij.com
Ahmed Raji, Dasuki’s lawyer, noted that the arms deal investigation
cannot be discussed without reference to the former president.
“The national security adviser will normally carry out the instructions of his president,” he told AFP.
“You cannot talk about this matter without talking about President Jonathan,” Raji added.
It is uncertain if President Buhari will prosecute his predecessor
while many political experts say that Buhari will most likely not do so.
When Buhari was elected president in 2015, he said in his acceptance speech: “President Jonathan has nothing to fear from me.”
READ FULL NEWS
=> Money Laundering: Diezani In London Police Net Again, Granted Bail – TheNation
Petroleum Resources Minister Mrs Diezeani Alison-Madueke yesterday
showed up at the Charing Cross Police Station in London as part of the
investigation into the allegation of money laundering against her.
Continental (TVC), Mrs Alison-Madueke was granted bail on the same
condition given earlier and given a June 21 date to return.
=> Lassa fever patient responding to treatment – LUTH-Punch
Teaching Hospital in Idi-Araba, Lagos has said that the patient that
contacted Lassa fever disease was responding to treatment at its
personnel and health workers had been working together to ensure that
the patient was well and healthy.
workers within the LUTH premises for safety and fast treatment for the
patient,” he said.
=> Statement destruction: Metuh granted N300m bail
A Federal Capital Territory High Court on Friday granted the National
Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa
Metuh), bail in the sum N300 mIllion.
He is also expected to provide two sureties in like sum.
Metuh is standing trial for destroying the statement he made to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) operatives during
investigation into his alleged involvement in the diversion of arms
He was arraigned by the EFCC on a two-count charge on Thursday.
READ FULL NEWS….
=> Buhari’s N795m budget for website update a fraud –Reps
Some members of the House of Representatives yesterday, expressed
displeasure over the N795m budgeted for website update in the corrected
version of the 2016 budget by President Muhammadu Buhari. They also
frowned at the N536m earmarked to link cables from drivers’rest room,
guest house to the Aso Villa, describing it as a fraud.
The lawmakers also asked Buhari to apologise to Nigerians over the
unnecessary controversy he allowed to trail the 2016 Appropriation bill.
They further described the corrected version of the N6.08trn budget
proposal submitted to the House as wasteful and a fraud.
The legislators insisted that the act has caused the country an
embarrassment in the eyes of the international community. Some members
of the House, who made their dissatisfaction with the budget known
during the debate on the Appropriation bill, accused the government of
corruption.READ FULL NEWS….
=> Militants Step Up Bombing Of Pipelines In Delta
details were still sketchy this morning?, but it was learned that they
blew up the Abiteye flow station and Sagara to Chevron pipeline
of are already trapped in our communities because of the bombings, the
target for now may be Chevron facilities,” a worried riverside dweller
=> N1.04tn Fine: MTN Seeks Out Of Court Settlement -Punch
Telecommunications Company, MTN Nigeria, has said it is considering
settling out of court with the Nigerian Communications Commission over
the N1.04tn fine imposed on itOn Friday, at the resumed hearing
of the suit it filed to challenge the N1.04tn fine, MTN’s lawyer, Chief
Wole Olanipekun (SAN), pleaded with the presiding judge, Justice
Mohammed Idris, to give parties 60 days to explore the option of
settlement out of court.
But the Attorney General of the
Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), who was sued
as the 2nd defendant, told the court, through his lawyer, Mr. Dipo
Okpeseyi (SAN), that parties had been finding it difficult to settle out
He urged the court to take it that all the court
papers in the matter had been properly filed and served and that the
case was still ongoing.
“This is a matter of national importance. There have been concessions in the past and nothing happened,” Okpeseyi noted.
READ FULL NEWS….
=> APC to spend N500bn on moving people out of poverty – Lai Mohammed- Vanguard
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has
said the Buhari Administration will intensify the fight against
corruption in order to conserve funds to improve the quality of life of
the most vulnerable people in the society, including women and children.
In his remarks during a courtesy visit to Women FM 91.7, the premier
radio station dedicated to women and family issues, in Arepo, Ogun
State, on Thursday, the Minister said the government is determined to
address some of the challenges confronting women and children through a
sustained fight against corruption, so that available funds could go
into reversing the high rate of infant and maternal mortality, poverty,
unemployment, lack of potable water among others.
”READ FULL NEWS….
=> John Kerry Carries Buhari’s Anti-corruption Campaign To Davos – PMNews
United State Secretary of State, John Kerry has given President
Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption campaign drive a larger reach at the
World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Kerry in his speech at
the forum, he made reference to Buhari’s fight against corruption in
Nigeria and how individuals pocketed money meant for arms deal.
“It has been reported that over 50 people including government officials stole over $9billion in Nigeria.
added that money that was meant for arms to fight Islamist sect, Boko
Haram, was pocketed by generals in the most populous black nation in the
READ FULL NEWS….
Follow Apata Bayode On Twitter Here