Hello readers, Inside this post you will find trending important news in Nigeria this morning, you will find news that are of concern to Politics,Economics,Locals and more… We update this page three times daily morning,afternoon and night. DO WELL TO CHECK BACK TOMORROW TODAY FOR MORE TOP NEWS STORIES…
TOP NEWS IN NIGERIA TODAY(AFTERNOON+EVENING EDITION)
The Supreme Court has removed two senators; Stella Oduah and Andy Uba of the Peoples Democratic Party as lawmakers representing Anambra State. The ruling means the election of all three Senators representing Anambra State had been nullified. The election of Uche Ekwunife was nullified by the Court of Appeal in December. Ekwunife defected from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress afterwards. The Supreme Court also ruled on the conflict between the PDP factions in the state, confirming Ejike Oguebego as Anambra State Chairman of the party. Details later SOURCE =>Kanu sacks lawyer as court denies his bail -Dailypost After a long wait and expectation, the court has announced the commencement of the ruling which will be coming in next 30 minutes. The director of the Radio Biafra has withdrawn one of his lawyers, M. U Udechukwu from representing him in court. Following the call for appearances, Udechukwu who argued the bail application in favour of kanu drew the attention of the court to letter said to have been addressed to the judge, John Tsoho. While Tsoho confirmed the letter, he said he believed it was a domestic matter and not to be on record. He said: “There is a handwritten letter addressed to my humble self by the first defendant.” The judge added that the first defendant had stated in the letter that during the last hearing, the lawyer that argued his case was not who he instructed to represent him. Meanwhile, the lead counsel, Chuks Muoma addressing the court said he did not see the need for the controversy in the courtroom. His words: “As embarrassing as this appears, I will advise that he take the ruling of the summons of bail which he led and argued and then handover.” On his own part, Udechukwu addressing the court said it was important to be on record. “My lord, it is already on record that I represented the defendant without an instruction from him, I don’t want to implicate my matter and also avoid been summoned by the disciplinary committee,” Udechukwu said. READ FULL NEWS
=>I am being tortured, abused by Buhari’s DSS – Kanu writes open letter to EU -Naij.com
I am that Biafran locked up in DSS custody for 98 days without trial
Firstly, I wish to thank this honorable parliament, representatives of member nations and all her leaders. On the defense of rule of law and human right this parliament thrived. The making of a better world where mankind shall be free, easy life and prosperous world had been the banner of this parliament and never shall diplomacy or any form of tie cause a deviation or severe the cause of this great parliament.
I am a Biafran, I am that Biafran locked up in Buhari’s DSS dungeon for 98 days without trial, given inhuman treatments, tortured and abused. I am that Biafran competent courts of jurisdiction freed but Buhari by his powers held me illegally. I am that Biafran that left his wife suffers the pains of child birth alone. I am that Biafran his newly delivered wife is still having emotional trauma and mental torture of losing her husband to time or death. READ FULL NEWS
» Suicide Bomber Kills Many In Adamawa – DailyTrust A boy on Friday detonated a suicide vest at a crowded market in Gombi town in Adamawa State, Killing many according to witnesses. A vigilante leader confirmed the incident to Daily Trust in a telephone interview saying 20 persons including the bomber died in the blast. Gombi was recaptured from Boko Haram in 2014 and since then, the insurgents have made several failed attempts to retake the town from the Nigerian military. The military authorities at the 23 Armoured Brigade in Yola was not immediately available for comment. READ FULL NEWS
=>My Life Is In Danger – Sunday Oliseh Cries Out – SunNews
The Super Eagles to the CHAN 2016 in Rwanda returned to Nigeria last night but without the team’s helmsman Sunday Oliseh who returned to his base in Belgium. His decision not to return home according to the Nigeria Football Federation, (NFF) is to enable him continue with treatment for the flu he has been battling with since last year. However Oliseh’s decision not to return with the team is beginning to raise questions on why he is afraid of home. Very dependable sources informed Daily Sunsport that the former Super Eagles defender and captain confessed that he is afraid for his life. Our source hinted that Oliseh had confided in a close associate that some people are after his life in Nigeria and is beginning to think twice about his health. “Oliseh no longer feels safe being in Nigeria. Recall that all through the team’s camping for CHAN 2016 in Abuja, he refused to show up but was the first to hit South Africa for the second phase of camping in Pretoria. After his team lost out of CHAN, he left for Belgium on the excuse that he had to go and continue treatment for his flu. That action speaks volumes about his fears.”READ FULL NEWS….
=>Kabiru Sokoto Sues Federal Government For N300million – Vanguard
The Abuja Division of the Federal High Court has fixed February 4 to hear a fresh suit lodged against the Federal Government by the convicted kingpin of the Boko Haram sect, Kabiru Umar. a.k.a. Kabiru Sokoto. The High Court had on December 20, 2013, convicted and sentenced Sokoto to life imprisonment after he was found guilty of masterminding the Christmas day bomb blast that killed about 44 persons and wounded 75 others at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church at Madalla, Niger State, in 2011. In his judgment, trial Justice Adeniyi Ademola said he was satisfied that the federal government successfully established the culpability of the convict beyond every reasonable doubt, noting that ‘Sokoto’ had in two separate confessional statements, admitted that he had prior knowledge of the attack. The court noted that the accused person, throughout the trial, never showed any remorse for his actions, describing him as “a pathological liar with no regards for the truth.” READ FULL NEWS
=>WHO raises alarm as Zika virus spreads “explosively” – The Nation
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that the Zika virus, linked to severe birth defects in thousands of babies in Brazil, is “spreading explosively” and can infect as many as four million people. THE WHO Director-General, Margaret Chan, said this at a meeting on Friday with the agency’s executive board in Geneva, adding that the spread of the mosquito-borne disease had gone from a mild threat to one of alarming proportions. She said that to help determine its response, WHO would convene an emergency meeting on Monday, because the level of alarm was extremely high. Chan told the Geneva gathering that in 2015, the virus was detected in the Americas, where it was now spreading explosively. She stressed that as of today, cases have been reported in 23 countries and territories in the region. READ FULL NEWS….
=> Manchester United and Leicester City fight for Ahmed Musa – Nigerianeye
Manchester United could make a late bid to try and beat Leicester to the signing of CSKA Moscow forward Ahmed Musa, with the Nigeria international gaining interest in the Premier League. Leicester have already been linked with the 23-year-old, and are believed to have had a £15m offer rejected by the Russian club as they look to hold out for a fee of at least £18.9m. But The Express reports that United are showing interest in Musa ahead of Monday’s January transfer window deadline, and they could launch a bid over the weekend to try and snatch the striker out of the grasp of the Premier League leaders. Musa has scored 10 goals this season, and his arrival would give United manager Louis van Gaal more options in attack, given that the club have scored the least number of goals this season from the current top eight. SOURCE
TOP NEWS IN NIGERIA TODAY(MORNING EDITION)
CHECKOUT OUT TODAY’S TOP NEWS:
=> I Respect Obasanjo But He Introduced Bribery To The National Assembly Says Dino Melaye-Thecable
Dino Melaye, a senator from Kogi west, has described former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s letter to the national assembly as a misplacement anger, accusing him of introducing corruption into the national assembly. Obasanjo had written a letter to the national assembly accusing it of insincerity for its planned purchase of 469 cars worth N4.7bn. But Melaye, in a riposte on Thursday, said the former president introduced corruption into the national assembly in his bid to run for a third term in office. “I have tremendous respect for president Olusegun Aremu Okikiola Obasanjo. Elder statesman, respected pan Africanist and committed patriot. I went through the letter written to all senators and members of the house of representatives. The letter I can see is a misplacement of anger,” he said. “Our leader is mistaking the eighth national assembly as the same senate assembly that defrauded him in 2007. Those who collected his money and refused to implement the 3rd term agenda. I appeal to baba that we are not the ones please. After nine years of that bribery saga, the first of its kind, I expect forgiveness to have taken place. READ FULL NEWS….
=> Sagir Muhammad reveals IPOB And Kanu’s secret plan – Naij.com Alhaji Sagir Muhammad, the leader of defunct Arewa Peoples Congress, in the interview granted to the Vanguard, has stated that Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and their leader Nnamdi Kanu has a secret agenda. Muhammad, also known as a front line General Ibrahim Babangida supporter, said “their hidden agenda is to declare Biafra and then go recolonize the South-South.” “They would go and within a question of less than one month they would capture all those South-South and colonise the oil fields that is the agenda of IPOB. If you look at the East, it is land-locked; they don’t have any serious minerals apart from coal. “Even the geography and geology of the East is so poor that even to build a good house they cannot unless you build a house in a bush because it’s all bush, it’s all forested and that is why you find the majority of the elite Igbo are now half of the owners of the houses in Abuja. “If the Indigenous People of Biafra are now saying that they want to have Biafra what are you going to do with more than three quarters of the Igbo who are outside the East? “Those in Kano, those in Lagos what are you going to do with then? Will you take all those people back to Biafra? They have no houses to live, they have no means of livelihood. They make money outside and not in the East so you find that they are crawling into fantasy world.” READ FULL NEWS => $2.1b arms deals: EFCC detains ex-Chief of Air Staff Amosu -TheNation
Former Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal Adesola Amosu is being detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in connection with the $2.1billion arms deals probe. Amosu has been undergoing what a source described as “intense” interrogation in the last 17 hours, The Nation learnt yesterday. The bank accounts of the ex-Air Chief may have been restricted. Besides, some houses believed to be his have been put under surveillance. The Assets Forfeiture and Recovery Unit of the EFCC was yesterday verifying some of the properties allegedly traced to Air Marshal Amosu. A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “Amosu reported to the EFCC late Tuesday based on the report of the Special Investigative Committee(SIC) and we have detained him. READ FULL NEWS
» THE ECONOMIST Tags Goodluck Jonathan As “An Ineffectual Buffoon” MORE than 30 years ago, a young general swept to power in the fifth of Nigeria’s military coups since independence in 1960. The country he inherited was a mess: bled dry by pilfering politicians within and hammered by falling oil prices without. Last year that general, Muhammadu Buhari, became president again—this time in a democratic vote. The problems he has inherited are almost identical. So are many of his responses. In the eight months since Mr Buhari arrived at Aso Rock, the presidential digs, the homicidal jihadists of Boko Haram have been pushed back into the bush along Nigeria’s borders. The government has cracked down on corruption, which had flourished under the previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, an ineffectual buffoon who let politicians and their cronies fill their pockets with impunity. Lai Mohammed, a minister, reckons that just 55 people stole $6.8 billion from the public purse over seven recent years.READ FULL NEWS
=>Buhari is using arms I procured to fight insurgency – Jonathan speaks -Dailypost
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has declared that the current administration was fighting the war against Boko Haram with the arms bought under his administration.He told France 24 that the insurgency caught the country unawares but that his government laid a solid foundation for it to be wiped out. He said, “The new government is working hard and I believe they are still using the equipment we procured. Though the budget is still being debated, no new equipment has been bought; so even those equipment the President is using to prosecute the war against Boko Haram are those equipment we procured. “When Boko Haram started in Nigeria, we had no terror experience. Yes, we had armed robbery and other common crimes, but terrorism was different because the people involved were not afraid to die. READ FULL NEWS….
President Muhammadu Buhari has stated their further devaluation of Naira would kill the currency, insisting that it was one decision he was not ready to take at the moment. The president said he was not also ready to inflict more hardship on the poor citizens of Nigeria who have already had doses of penury. He stressed that while export-driven economies could benefit from devaluation of their currencies, Naira devaluation will only result in further inflation and hardship for the poor and middle classes in Nigeria’s import-dependent economy. President Buhari who spoke on Wednesday in Nairobi, Kenya during a meeting with Nigerians resident in the county has been away on official visit. A statement by his Special Assistant on media and publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu from Nairobi stated that the President Buhari said he was yet to be convinced by the proponents of devaluation that ordinary Nigerians would benefit from policy. READ FULL NEWS
=>JAMB closes forms’ sale on Friday, approves more CBT centres – Vanguard
The embattled National Publicity Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olisa Metuh, has regained his freedom. Metuh is facing trial over alleged N400 million fraud. Metuh, was arrested by four operatives of the anti-graft agency from his Abuja home on January 5. Metuh and his firm, Destra Investment Limited, were charged before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court over alleged N400 million fraud. The charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/05/2016, was signed by the Assistant Director, Legal & Prosecution Department of the EFCC, Mr. Sylvanus Tahir. READ FULL NEWS….
=>We want to liberate south-south region – MASSOB – Vangaurd
The Movement fort he Actualisation of a Sovereign State Of Biafra (MASSOB) has revealed that its plan for the people of the south-south region is to liberate them from the shackles of Yoruba and Hausa people who have purportedly enslaved them. Vanguard reports that the separatist group was reacting to a statement credited to Sagir Mohammed, a former leader of the defunct Arewa Peoples Congress where he said the motive of the Igbos in the agitation for Biafra was to colonise the oil rich south-south region. He had said: “Those Indigenous People of Biafra have a hidden agenda. Their hidden agenda is to declare Biafra and then go recolonize the South-South. “They would go and within a question of less than one month they would capture all those South-South and colonise the oil fields that is the agenda of IPOB. If you look at the East, it is land-locked; they don’t have any serious minerals apart from coal.” READ FULL NEWS….
=> EFCC Operative Impregnates Teenager, Batters Her (photos) – PMNews
There was a show of shame recently at the premises of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, after one of the operatives allegedly battered a 19-year old canteen attendant he allegedly impregnated in Lagos State, western Nigeria. The teenager was allegedly assaulted at the EFCC office located on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos where the operative works as exhibit keeper. The victim, Blessing Nwokpa, who was a canteen attendant at the EFCC premises was allegedly impregnated by the EFCC operative identified as Okeke Edward, who refused to take responsibility for the pregnancy. P.M.NEWS gathered that rather, Okeke allegedly offered her money to terminate the pregnancy but Blessing refused. For her obstinacy, Blessing who was living with Edward as a squatter, allegedly became an object of battering and assault by him. Edward allegedly threw her and her belongings out of his house and sent her away from his house at 23, Akinseji street, Fadeyi. READ FULL NEWS….
=>‘Why US refused to sell arms to Jonathan’- Nigerianeye
Mr. Smart Ajaja, a Nigerian rights activist, based in the United States of America, yesterday, said the refusal of former President Goodluck Jonathan to probe alleged multi-million dollars allegedly found in one the nation’s service chiefs, during his tenure was the reason America refused to sell arms to his administration. Ajaja, who gave insight into how some persons he described as very vulnerable Nigerians abroad serve as fronts to looters of the country’s treasury,said the US govt, which uncovered the money, gave Jonathan term upon which he could get its support. He said Jonathan refusal to probe a service chief, who he did not name, resulted to the refusal of American government to sell arms to his government. Ajaja said although some volunteers among the diasporans were willing to assist President Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government to further identify some of the looted funds, the government should do a lot more to block movement of physical cash out of the country. READ FULL NEWS
=> Girl Rescued After Boyfriend In Search Of Riches Held Her In Pit For 8months(Graphic pics) – Lailasblog
Shocking photos have emerged of a young girl who was recently rescued after her boyfriend in search of riches left her in a deep pit for 8 months! This happened in Tanzania. This Lady spent 8 months in a deep pit, feeding twice a week and thank God she is still alive. This was done reportedly by her boyfriend in search for riches.