The proliferation of smartphones and gadgets in recent times has revolutionized the way we conduct and manage our daily activities. Virtually every aspect of human endeavor has in one way or the other utilized mobile apps in solving and managing complex problems and processes. The academia isn’t left out, as mobile apps have been effectively deployed by staff and student alike in aiding and fast tracking the learning process. This article is more concerned about the educative benefits of installing certain mobile apps, especially from the student perspective. With that being said, these are the Ten Mobile Application we suggest every Nigerian student should have:
1. Dictionary App Due to its importance, the dictionary app has to take the number one spot on our list of must-have apps for students. It is crucial for every student to own a dictionary. I mean, how do you interpret certain bogus words used by professors, lecturers, teachers without a dictionary? That will be a tall order if you ask me. Technology has made it possible for you to carry even a consise, digital dictionary in your smartphones and gadgets. So, there is no excuse for any sane student not to, at least, install one of mobile dictionary apps scattered across the web.
2. The Kindle reading app The world is embracing the use of eBooks and eReaders at an alarming pace these days, which has led to a massive decline in the demand for paper books. EBooks are the current norm these days and require specially designed gadget known as eReaders to properly access their content. Since some smartphones and tablets may not possess the Kindle or eBook reading functionality, the Kindle reading app was created to help replicate the features of the standard eBook reader.
3. DropBox The world is completely migrating to the digital platform, and you as a student shouldn’t be left out of the global digital party. The DropBox is a cloud-based storage service that allows you to upload, store and manage digital files such as eBooks, pictures, videos, and documents. The uploaded files can be accessed anywhere on planet earth, provided you have an internet connection within reach. Effectively utilizing the DropBox app can save you the stress of carrying those bulky reading materials around, especially during trips.
4. GoConqr Are you that type of student that loves broadening the horizons and boundaries of your knowledge base? Then you need the right app that can grant you instant access to over 1.5 million learning resources scattered across the web. Students and researchers alike would find the GoConqr mobile app, which is available on the iOS and Android platform, a worthy digital companion.
5. TripAdvisor TripAdvisor is an important app for students who love traveling and exploring new places. Students going on exchange programs overseas will also find this TripAdvisor app extremely helpful. It provides you thorough insight on the various sights and sounds of host countries. Using this app, you can sample the nightlife, culture, restaurants and other important locations in your host country.
The name of this app alone gives you an insight as to what it’s used for. This mobile app is designed to operate just like your scientific calculator and can be used to solve various mathematical calculations from the field of Algebraic and Calculus. However, it’s advisable not to rely wholly on answers provided by the Mathway app. Despite this reservation, it’s still a powerful mobile app for savvy math students.
As they say, “health is wealth.” Fitness plays a pivotal role in our everyday lives. It could be used to fight some ailments that pose a significant challenge to tradition and conventional medication. For students, mental fitness is essential for academic excellence, and the MyFitnessPal App provides you proper caloric combinations you could use alongside your fitness routines to boost mental alertness.
8. Camscanner The everyday life of the average Nigerian student involves photocopying of lecture materials and documents. You can’t blame them. Many don’t come from privileged homes and can’t really afford to buy expensive textbooks prepared and sold by greedy lecturers. The Camscanner comes in handy and offers a cheaper alternative than standard scanners. It uses your smartphone’s built-in camera functionality to scan your important documents and notes.
9. LectureNotes Yes, as the name implies, the LectureNote app is particularly useful for gadget owners whose devices make use of “the Stylus.” Using the LectureNote, you can take down important notes quickly and speedily with your stylus. This app comes in handy for people who dread carrying bulky lecture notes up and down.
10. Todoist Every student needs an app to help manage and organize their daily activities, and the Todoist app should be one of your basic choices. The Todoist app lets you plan all your daily activities in advance, so at every given time, you know what you are expected to do. This amazing app is particularly useful for keeping regular appointments and schedules. In conclusion, these are some of the very best apps for students mentioned above. Nevertheless, your findings and discoveries shouldn’t be restricted to the few rightly mentioned above. As students, you should continue to research and test other apps that can be used to solve problematic areas of your academic endeavor. Educative mobile apps will help you overcome impediments that act as cog in the wheel of your academic pursuit, thereby equipping you with the right analytical skills to confront modern-day challenges.